Friday, December 22, 2006

for you...


We have all seen words such as "dream", "create", and "believe", etched into a piece of jewelry. These syllables entice us to embrace and have faith in these ideas that we tout so boldly around our neck and wrist.

Over a year ago, I purchased a small simple necklace from Ms. Nina Bagley that also had one of those single word proclamations, but this particular piece was different. This word did not ask for a response. It was instead... a definition... a name I could call myself... a title that might change the way someone looked at me, for those who bothered to stop and read the four letters. The word is "Poet".

Everytime I wear this dainty pendant, I feel empowered... I FEEL like a poet......

Often penning small bits of prose during brief moments, I suppose I would be considered somewhat of a closet poet. However, I could never bring myself to tell anyone what I was doing, or even begin to think of myself as a real writer. Poets are individuals that eloquently carry us away in a flurry of emotions... describing ever so gently... so tenderly each thought and every feeling.

And here I am... playing,.. pretending,... hoping.. that maybe...just maybe my meager verse might do the same. Never would I dream of whispering the phrase or shouting to the world.... "I AM A POET!".... until I purchased this small adornment with a tiny word on the front.

And so it is...as I sit here at my computer, on the eve of Christmas...and the only gift I can think to give a weary world to honor this glorious occasion... is a little piece of myself... a little bit... of poetry.


'Tis christmas time
the christ child born,

repeat the noise
of sounding joys,

a chilly morn
a world of white,

all is calm
all is bright.

A winter sky
in shades of gray,

peace to you
upon this day,

the bells ring out
to humble hearts,

give thanks,
give praise,
and celebrate.

5 comments:

Shari Beaubien said...

Just beautiful, dear poet. I don't need to say another word. xo Shari

Anonymous said...

we all love you, sweet poetess! xoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

there is no turning back now. your ARE a poet! thank you for such a special gift.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! So lovely....Merry Christmas.

Mary Stanley said...

thank you for the lovely Christmas Poem....You are a Poet, and now we Know it! love you, M..